1. Ding (butting)-Butting the head upward; Butting the tip of tongue against the maxilla; Butting the hands outward to reach the powerful force Managing the above three promises with great power.
2. Kou (holding tight)-Holding the shoulders tight to reach join forces; Holding the hands and legs fight with eyes observing straight; Holding the teeth tight rather than loose. Managing the above three promises with good morale.
3. Yuan (keeping full)-Keeping the chest full of energy; Keeping the back full of power like a mountain; Keeping the Hukou (the part between forefinger and thumb) round like a full moon; Managing the above three promises with good skills.
4. Du (retaining cruel)-Retaining the heart cruel like leopard cats grabing mice; Retaining eyes cruelly sharp like eagles searching hares; Retaining hands cruel like tigers chasing lambs; Managing the above three promises higher speed than others.
5. Bao (cherishing)-Cherishing vital energy inside "Dan Tian"(the lower part of abdomen) to guarantee the solid foundation; Cherishing heart will to concentrate the attention; Cherishing arms standby in a relaxed way; Managing the above three promises for one's safety.
6. Chui (drooping)-Drooping vital energy to "Dan Tian" to keep body technique firm; Drooping arms to reach the genuine craftsmanship; Drooping elbows on the basis of arms; Managing the above three to realize the nimble actions.
7. Qu (bending)-Bending arms as the crescent shape; Bending wrists as the crescent shape; Bending the knees and legs as the crescent shape; Managing the above three to perfect the gestures.
8. Ting (erect)-Erecting the neck to keep eyes animated; Erecting the knees and legs like the roots attaching the ground; Erecting the body in standby mode; Managing the above three promises for powerful ability.
Understanding the eight pithy formulas well and practicing the special stances well are the keys to master Xing Yi Quan. The trainees should memorize the valuable rules. Since ones manage the ''three modes of proper stance" after a long period of training, he can build a solid foundation for Xing Yi Quan.
Xing Yi Quan, which bases on Wu Xing Quan with five fundamental fist techniques Pi(chopping), Beng(flicking), Zuan(drilling), Pao(shelling), Heng(horizontal punching), has the following distinctions:
I. Internal and External Conformity
Xing Yi Quan requires six conformities, including internal three conformities and external three conformities. The former three demand the integration of mind and will, the integration of will and vital energy and the integration of vital energy and strength. And the latter three call for the integration of shoulders and hips, the integration of elbows and knees and the integration of hands and feet. To sum up, if someone wants to practice Xing Yi Quan well, he must try to reach the above six conformities, which is to realize the coordination among all parts of one's body, such as the internal and the external, the front and the back, the left and the right. As a result, the trainees can succeed in combining mind and body, internal and external.
II. Softness and Hardness Conformity
A master of Xing Yi Quan can control each performance well no matter softly or hard. However, hardness doesn’t mean stiffness, and the softness doesn’t mean weakness. Instead, the hard movement should contain softness while the soft movement should imply hardness. Every move should retain the continuous elasticity to control oneself smoothly and keep oneself forceful at every minute.
III. Stillness and Movement Conformity
All things have two sides---stillness and movement, which can not exist without another. Emphasizing stillness only would make the spirit passive and keep one's mind in a restraining situation. But it can help one rest and get rid of exhaustion and tenseness. So movement should imply stillness. Both should coordinate together to start the body as an active whole.
IV. Hands and Feet Conformity
The conformity of hands and feet means the collaboration of hands and feet. On the practicing occasion, hands should move following the feet while the feet should move following the hands accordingly. And the head should guide the body move while the body should lead the head stir. According to the Quan Jing, in order to master the genuine methods, both hands and feet must be in use. Practicing the "three modes of proper stance" and the five fundamental techniques of Xing Yi Quan is helpful for one to keep fit, maintain healthy, practice muscles and protect oneself. In details:
1. Trainings help your mind quick and make your movement nimble. And you can shape a better body build and become graceful, reaching the ability that lying like a strong bow, sitting like vigorous pines, moving fast like the wind.
2. Trainings develop your firm will to face and overcome the difficulties, and fosters the good morality, sentiment, temperament, manner and so on, which makes you reach a quite and peaceful state.
3. Trainings regulate your whole body, including your muscles and bones, limbs and organs, acupuncture channels and acupuncture points, nerve system and so forth, which helps you handle and utilize the energy and helps your blood flowing smoothly. Thanks to the practices, one can own a good health with fewer diseases.
4. Trainings play an auxiliary role in medical treatment for rheumatism, pulmonary tuberculosis, heart diseases, chronic hepatitis, chronic nephritis, neurasthenia, backache and leg ache and so forth. For instance, practicing Xing Yi Quan can inspire the neurasthenia in spirit and strength. And the rheumatism can be provided with better resistance from illnesses.
The "three modes of proper stance" and the five fundamental fist techniques of Xing Yi Quan are outstanding in the effect on curing diseases. I have seen some patients release their pain by practicing Xing Yi Quan.
They reach a common sense during the trainings that "A weak body suffers a lot from illnesses; training should be started early and kept long; with the experience of good health basing on practicing, you would like to go on from then on." Because of the differences among people in living condition, social experience, life style and diet as well as they are in varied physiques, comprehension abilities, duration of trainings and instructions, each trainee will benefit to different degrees. As long as one follows the right direction of the coach, manage the keys and keep practicing without postponing, he will enjoy a happy and healthy life with the help of Xing Yi Quan.
What do you think?
Send us feedback!